I see people buying hummus that is already packaged and it surprises me. The packaged hummus is loaded with fats, oils & sodium.
Hummus is so easy to make at home. Here it can be made to be a nutritious source of protein with little fat and you control the sodium.
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- Fresh basil, cilantro or my favorite African Blue Sage
- You will also need a food processor. I use my Ninja
- Place chickpeas in your processor
- Add in herbs, lime juice, cumin & garlic.
- Make sure you stir the tahini well because the paste will settle to the bottom and becomes thick. When you measure it out make sure you have a nice mixture of the paste & oil.
- Add your tahini.
- Add your water.
- Process for about 4 minutes until creamy.
- You may want to add some more water and a pinch of salt and process a little bit more.
- When it reaches the texture you like, place in a sealable bowl to store in the fridge.
You can add all kinds of things to change and fancy up this basic hummus. I love to add roasted jalapeños or smoked paprika. I’ve also added homemade pesto with tomatoes. You can add pine nuts & cinnamon. The list is endless.
Experiment that’s what is really fun about cooking!
Per serving (2 tablespoons)
- 60 calories
- 3g protein
- 9g carbohydrates – 2 sugars
- 2g fat
- 0 cholesterol
- 2g fiber
Share with me your idea’s & pictures.
Have a glorious day!