Meal-Prepping Meal: Italian Spinach And Tortellini Soup
I just got home from a wonderful vacation in the South. What a fantastic time I had with my awesome husband. Sadly, vacations come to an end and real life is eagerly waiting. So, in anticipation of a crazy week of getting back into the swing of our daily routine, mealprepping is a necessity.
I have modified this recipe from Weight Watchers to use as a freezer meal. Yes Weight Watchers, I enjoyed vacation a little too much. I just can’t say no to good southern cooking. So here we go.
Ingredients: (for each bag/serves 6)
- 1 chicken breast cubed small & cooked
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 Peppers (red & yellow) diced
- 1 medium zucchini cubed
- 1 medium summer squash cubed
- 3 garlic cloves diced
- 1 small bag frozen chopped spinach (or 2 cups washed & chopped fresh baby spinach)
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can of diced tomatoes
- 1 (9 ounce) package frozen spinach and or cheese tortellini
- 1 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/8 red pepper flakes
- 2 cubes of chicken bouillon
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped basil
- 1 gallon sized freezer bag
- On your freezer bag write Tortellini Soup & the date. Also write Add 3 cups water on day to cook.
- Make sure your chicken is cooked and cooled.
- Add your chicken in your bag.
- Add your veggies to your bag.
- Add your can of diced tomatoes with juice
- Add your spinach last to the veggies.
- Add the olive oil
- Add garlic
- Add red pepper & seasonings.
- Add your basil
- Add your Tortellini
- Very carefully seal your bag, pressing out the air as you seal.
- I like to double bag my soups.
The day before you want your soup.
- Take out of the freezer and put in the refrigerator, standing up in a bowl to thaw.
The day of cooking.
- Dump all contents into your soup Crock-Pot.
- Add 3 to 3 1/2 cups water
- Set on LOW and cook for 5-6 hours
At the end of the day serve with a sprinkle of Fresh asiago or Parmesan cheese and enjoy.
Until next time,
Mrs. Kay L Rice