We are quickly approaching our popular class at Quest Community Church for Meal-Prepping Freezer Meals on October 20, 2016 at 7PM.
October is one of my very favorite months because now we get into SOUP and STEW season!!!! Nothing in this world is better than coming home to the aroma of a fresh pot of soup/stew that has been cooking all day!
Are you ready? Let’s go!
White Chicken Chili (Makes 4-5 servings)
Ingredients (For each bag which makes 4-5 servings):
- 2 (15 oz) cans Great Northern Beans (drained)
- 1 (15 oz) can White Kidney Beans (cannelloni beans) (drained)
- 1 (14.5 oz) Mexican diced Tomatoes (tomatoes with jalapeno and cilantro at Aldi’s) Do NOT Drain your Tomatoes.
- 1 (7 oz) can green chilies (we prefer the canned hatch chilies at Meier’s) Do NOT drain your chilies, the juice adds to your chili.
- 1/2 C Verde (green) Salsa (Hernandez brand is our favorite.)
- 1 Tbsp Taco Seasoning (This is totally optional, and I don’t use it due to the sodium)
- 2 chicken breasts (cubed and cooked)
- 1/2 C Sour Cream (use Greek yogurt to reduce calories and increase protein)
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp Chili powder
- 1 1 gallon freezer bag
- A cooler with ice or ice packs to transport your items to and from class
- your own knives, cutting boards, can openers, apron, etc.
Pre-Class Instructions and Prep
- For Health and Safety reasons PLEASE cube and cook your chicken the night before class.
- Once your cooked chicken is COOLED after cooking place in individual bags for each bag you are going to prepare (each bag should contain 2 breasts of cubed chicken cooked) ADD THE “JUICE” from cooking the chicken to your bag, this will add to your stock.
- Take the time to prepare your freezer bags. To do this, write on each of your final bags that you wish to prepare (as many as you like and bring ingredients for) White Chicken Chili with the date (10/20/2016).
- Under the Contents write “On Day Of Preparation: Add 2 cups water” (for thicker chili / 2 1/2 – 3 cups for soup level or you can use part chicken broth and water as well)
Class Day! Instructions
This meal is so easy to put together it’s totally crazy quick!
- Open your bag of cooked chicken and put it in your freezer bag first.
- Add your sour cream/yogurt to your freezer bag.
- “Squish” the sour cream/yogurt to where it coats your chicken nicely.
- Open and drain your Great Northern Beans (or otherwise called Navy Beans) , Add to your freezer bag.
- Open and drain your Cannelloni Beans (White Kidney Beans), Add to your freezer bag.
- Open your Mexican diced Tomatoes and DO NOT DRAIN, add to your freezer bag.
- Open your canned chilies DO NOT DRAIN, add to your freezer bag.
- Add your Salsa Verde to your freezer bag.
- “Squish” your bag a little mixing the items together.
- Add your Taco seasoning (optional) to your freezer bag.
- Add your oregano to your freezer bag.
- Add your cumin to your freezer bag.
- Add your Chili Powder to your freezer bag.
- Again, “squish” your freezer bag a little to mix the items together.
- Very gently, push out extra air and seal the bag.
- I like to double bag my soups and stews before laying them in my freezer.
When you want to prepare your White Chicken Chili:
- The day before you want to have your chili, take out of the freezer and place standing up in a bowl bag unopened in your refrigerator to thaw.
- The morning of cooking dump all the ingredients into your crock-pot.
- Add 2 – 2 1/2 cups of water to your crock-pot. (for thicker chill / 2 1/2 – 3 cups for soup level or you can use part chicken broth and water as well)
- You can also add about 1/2 cup of milk if you like a more creamy texture.
- Cook on LOW for 7-8 hours.
- Serve with a spring of fresh cilantro and lime wedge if you like in each served bowl!
Enjoy! Even if you don’t join us physically for your class, I hope you enjoy this recipe. Please send feedback!
Until Next Time,
Mrs. Kay Rice