One of my favorite sides to any soup or stew is cornbread. This recipe was given to me by my Grandma & Mom. My addition to this recipe is to add green chillies into the batter.
- 1 1/2 cups cornmeal
- 1 cup boiling water
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup sifted flour
- 1 cup milk
- 4 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 eggs, well beaten
- 1 cup whole kernel sweet corn
- 1 7 ounce can of diced green chillies (this is my personal addition!)
- Preheat oven at 400 degrees F.
- Slowly add the cornmeal to boiling water, stirring constantly.
- When smooth add your sweet corn (& chilies)
- Add eggs, butter, salt and sugar.
- Stir thoroughly
- Alternately add milk and the flour sifted with the Baking Powder.
- Pour in a square greased pan.
- Bake 400 degrees F for about 30 min.
- Bread should be golden & firm but moist.
Until Next Time,
Mrs. Kay L Rice