On November 17, 2016 at 7PM we will have our next Freezer meal Prep Class at Quest Community Church. The following is Recipe #1 which we will be working with. Whether you can physically join us or join us in spirit, I hope you enjoy this recipe.
The instructions are written exactly as well will be doing them in class.
SLOW COOKER FREEZER MEAL LASAGNA
NOVEMBER 17, 2016 MEAL PREPPING FREEZER MEAL CLASS Recipe #1
- 1 ½ lbs. (precook weight) ground beef (OR ground turkey or chicken or venison), browned and drained
- 8 lasagna noodles, broken into pieces (uncooked regular noodles not the oven baked noodles) you can also use approx. a cup of the “mini lasagna noodles, or pinwheels or any noodle you like”.
- 1 (24 ounce) can/jar of your favorite pasta sauce
- ½ cup fresh mushrooms diced (optional)
- 1 cup fresh onion, diced
- ½ cup fresh green pepper diced (optional)
- ¼ cup black olives sliced (optional)
- 2 – 3 cloves of garlic diced
- 1 cup of small curd cottage cheese
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 tsp ground parsley
- ½ tsp ground oregano
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp dried basil
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 tsp salt (prefer to not put this in as the flavor cooks out)
- 1 Gallon freezer bag
- 2 quart freezer bags
- PERM MARKER FOR MARKING
- Cooler and freezer packs to transport your goods to and from class.
- PLEASE, cook your ground beef the night (or nights) before class, drain off all grease and cool and place in a small bag and place in the fridge.
- On 1 quart bag write “cheese mixture”
- On 1 quart bag write “noodles”
- On the Gallon Freezer bag write “CROCK POT LASAGNA, the date [November 17, 2016].
- DICE YOUR VEGGIES! If you have not already done so.
- First we will create our cheese mixture bag.
- Add in your cup of cottage cheese
- Add in your mozzarella cheese.
- “Squish” in bag and seal and set aside.
- Now your noodle bag.
- If you have not already broken your lasagna noodles do so here.
- If you are using a smaller shaped noodle (lots of fun here) you don’t need to break them.
- Add to your noodle bag. Seal and set aside.
- Now for your gallon freezer bag.
- Add in your browned meat.
- Add in your veggies.
- Add in all of your seasonings.
- “SQUISH” your bag to mix everything together.
- Add in your pasta sauce. Now it gets messy!
- VERY, VERY GENTLY, Add in the sealed noodle and cheese bags inside on top of the Ingredients of the gallon bag!
- Very Gently, PUSH out the air in the gallon bag and seal with the other two bags INSIDE the gallon bag.
- I like to double bag my gallon bags for a leakage safety net.
- Place in your freezer until you want it.
THE DAY BEFORE COOKING INSTRUCTIONS
- Take out of the freezer and place standing upright (in a bowl).
THE DAY OF COOKING
- Prepare your Large Crockpot (I use our 6 quart oval crockpot) by spraying with some “pam” type spray or use a crock-pot liner for your crockpot size. You will thank yourself later for this!
- Carefully remove the two separate bags from the larger bag and set aside.
- Dump your ingredients in from your larger bag into the crockpot.
- Now dump in your noodles.
- Stir the noodles throughout the mixture.
- Finally dump the cheese on the top and “spread it out a little”.
- Turn your crockpot on LOW and cook for 8 (eight) hours.
- Serve and Enjoy!
Until Next time,
Mrs. Kay L. Rice