If you know my husband you know that there are always hot peppers in this house and in a high percentage of our meals. So when we were blessed with a big vegetable box filled with a wide range of hot peppers we were in heaven. But what to do with this wide range of different types of peppers created a moment of pause. Then it came to me Pickled Hot Peppers aka Cowboy Candy!
My husband absolutely loved the outcome so here is the recipe. Since it’s pickling peppers, it’s water bath canning to preserve!
Cowboy Candy (Pickled Mixed Hot Peppers)
- 1 lb mixed hot peppers sliced (Wear gloves & yes, keep the seeds in the pepper slices)
- 2/3 cups Apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tbsp mustard seeds (whole)
- 1/4 tsp celery seed
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper ground
- 1/4 garlic powder
This makes 2 pints or 4 half-pints.
Make sure you sterilize and prep your jars, lids & water bath canner as you normally do to water-bath can.
- Put on latex gloves!!!!!!!! Do not touch your face! 😨😨😨😨
- Slice your mixed peppers into rings keeping the seeds inside the rings.
- In a large pot mix your vinegar, sugar, mustard seeds, celery seed, cayenne pepper and garlic powder together.
- Bring to a rolling boil
- Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Make sure you are stirring the mixture through these steps so the sugar doesn’t scorch.
- Add in all the peppers.
- Simmer and stir for another 5 minutes.
- Carefully fill your jars leaving 1/4 headspace.
- Wipe the rims clean, add your lids, place in your water-bath canner.
- Make sure the water is at least 1 inch over your tallest jat.
- After reaching a rolling boil your canning time is 15 minutes.
- When time is up remove from heat.
- Take jars out of canner and place in a quiet, stable, cool area.
- When you hear the pop the jar sealed.
- Leave to cool overnight.
My husband loves these peppers! He has them on sandwiches, as a side even in scrambled eggs! I’d love to hear your comments on them.
Until next time,
Mrs. Kay L Rice