This time of year the greens really start coming in. After awhile one gets tired of salad so here is a comfort soup made from fresh kale. You can also substitute or mix fresh spinach or collard greens with or instead of the kale. Nothing warms the soul like a hot bowl of soup at the end of the day!
- 4 cups of chicken broth
- 1 cup of water
- a “bunch” of fresh kale (or greens) stripped from their stems and chopped
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 6 yellow or red potatoes diced
- 4 large garlic scapes (message me to find out what this is or google it!)
- 3 medium golden beets
- 2 large carrots
- 1 tsp of fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp of fresh basil chopped
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 lb of ground sausage, already browned (I use spicy sausage for an extra kick)
- Pour your stock and water in your large crock-pot
- Dice and chop all your veggies and put in your crock-pot
- On the potatoes, cut out any eyes but keep the skins on the potatoes, dice small
- Carrots, scrap off skin and root hairs and dice large
- Golden beets: cut off the greens and “tail” and scrape off skins, dice large. (You can add the fresh beet greens if you like as well, strip off the stem. Waste not want not.)
- Dice your garlic scapes small.
- Add in your herbs.
- Brown your (spicy) sausage in a separate pan until cooked.
- Add the sausage and any juice from the pan into the crock-pot.
- Stir the contents.
- Set on High for 2 hours then move to low to finish cooking.
- Add salt to taste and some fresh basil just before dishing up.
Enjoy and let me know how you enjoy this recipe.
Until Next Time,
Mrs. Kay L. Rice