The Very BEST Spicy Pickled Eggs
By now you know that here at the Rice household, we love a little kick to our foods, from my husband’s homemade hot sauces, to our home made jams to our food in general.
A treat from our childhood is Pickled Eggs! Yup, it may sound weird but I bet y’all have seen them in bars, stores, country places. There are Beet Eggs (pink/purple), mustard eggs (yellow), Cider Vinegar eggs (kind of a cider color), but my favorite are SPICY PICKLED EGGS. Yum! Please note that the picture you see here, has already been opened and enjoyed… It barely made the 3 week mark.
Here is my recipe, I make a 1 gallon batch at a time for the refrigerator.
Ingredients (for a one gallon batch):
- A bunch of hard boiled (solid) eggs. Since I like to can in gallon jars, I make about two dozen. Make sure your hard boiled eggs are not “split” and that the yokes are solid, they can not be soft or runny.
- Quart or Gallon canning jar
- 1/4 cup of sriracha sauce
- 4 whole cloves (crushed) garlic
- Peppers. I used 2 Roasted Mexican Hatch, 1 red habanero and 2 green habaneros oh and a red jalapeno I had on hand. Chopped but not so fine that they disappear. I like big pieces.
- White Vinegar
- Like I stated above, make sure your hard boiled eggs are firm all the way through. Do not use squishy or one minute eggs, this would be very, very bad.
- Take your sterilized jar/jars and in the bottom, put your peppers, your crushed whole garlic, and your sriracha sauce.
- Now put in your hard boiled eggs (yes the shells off and rinse them).
- Place them in the jar until it fills about 1 1/2 inches from the top but don’t squish them down, let them lay naturally on top of each other.
- Now fill the jar up with the vinegar until you have your eggs covered and it should be 1/2 an inch form the top.
- Wipe of the jar rim and place your lid and ring on TIGHT.Imake
- Put them in the refrigerator and AVOID the urge to break into them before the 3 week mark. The longer they sit, the better they are.
I hope you enjoy this recipe and please let me know how you like it.
Until next time,
Mrs. Kay Rice!