One of my absolutely favorite down home, stick to your ribs dinners is Giblets & Gravy. To the city people that translates to chicken gizzards, hearts and livers in gravy.
I was over joyed to find out my husband loves this dinner too. We normally serve it over rice but it goes well over mashed potatoes or biscuits or grits or hominy or pretty much anything too.
I make mine a little different from my mom, but it’s so good with an extra kick.
- 1 lb of mixed giblets with livers
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- A dash of oil in your pan
- 1 tsp of smoked paprika
- A pinch of salt
- A dash of ground black pepper
- 4 ounces of roasted green chilies
- Heat the oil in your pan and melt the butter.
- Keep at a little higher then medium heat.
- Put your flour in a bowl and coat each giblet and liver with a light dusting of flour.
- Place the floured giblets in your pan.
- When they are about half done add the chilies, salt, pepper and smoked paprika.
- Fold everything together in your pan.
- Cover and let it finish cooking until there is no red in the livers or giblets.
- The butter and flour makes its own gravy.
- Serve over your choice of rice, potatoes, toast, biscuits, whatever you like.
Until next time,
Mrs. Kay L Rice