Rabbit, whether wild or domestic, is a great lean meat. The entire body is dark meat and one rabbit can easily feed 4 people.
My favorite way to prepare rabbit is to “oven fry”. It keeps the meat tender and has less breading than typical frying or deep frying. I use a Dutch Oven but you could use a deep lidded casserole dish as well.
- 1 whole rabbit cleaned and cut up into 5 pieces (2 back legs, 2 front legs, 1 back)
- Fine ground cornmeal
- Lard or butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven 350F
- Melt your lard/butter in the bottom of your Dutch Oven, about a tablespoon.
- Coat each individual piece of rabbit in the buttermilk then the cornmeal and place in the Dutch Oven.
- Put the lid on your Dutch Oven and place in the oven.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes at 350.
Until next time,
Mrs. Kay L Rice