One of my favorite fruit choices is Black Cherries. The ultimate sweet treat in the early summer months. I love them raw, in desserts, over yogurt and cottage cheese, in jams and with chicken. Wait! What? Yes, you read that correctly, fruit goes extremely well with meat and cherries really take on a whole new flavor mixed with the smokiness of the chipotle pepper (a smoked jalapeno pepper) and chicken.
I’ve taken this dish to many pot-lucks and served as meals for friends and it always gets rave reviews. I hope you like it!
Cherry Chipotle Pepper Chicken
- 2 pounds of chicken breasts or mixed chicken meat.
- One pound of ripe black cherries, pitted and sliced.
- 1 cup of French salad dressing (yup you read that right)
- 4 fresh cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 packet of dried French onion soup mix (however, I choose to make my own using a bouillon cube of the type of meat I’m using, boiled with a small onion)
- In true Rice Household fashion 1/2 teaspoon of dried Chipotle Pepper Flakes
- Dice your chicken into large chunks.
- Spray your crock pot with a no stick spray, or grease with your choice of grease. I use a casserole style crock pot for this recipe.
- Scatter your chicken in the crock-pot.
- Add in your garlic and your french onion soup mix.
- Add in your french salad dressing and stir ingredients together.
- Add in your chipotle pepper flakes and stir in.
- Now add in your cherries. If you are using canned (I can mine when they are in season), do not use the juice, only the fruit. Save the juice to enjoy later.
- Mix the cherries through the mix.
- Place the lid on your crock-pot. Turn on low or medium depending on the way your crock-pot heats (mine runs hot).
- Cook for 5 – 6 hours in the crock pot or until the meat is completely done.
- Serve over rice.
Until Next Time,
Mrs. Kay Lynn Rice