Recently I was asked to share my Chocolate Cream Pie recipe. As with nearly all my pies, this one comes straight from my Grandmama’s kitchen. It’s a tad labor intensive but so worth it. Make sure you read through to make sure you have everything you need before starting. Making custard based pies requires practice & patience. Enjoy.
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup corn starch
- 1/3 tsp salt
- 2 cups whole milk scalded
- 3 eggs
- 2 tbsp real butter
- 1 tsp real vanilla
- 1/2 cup dark baking cocoa powder
- 1 baked pie shell
- 2 egg whites beaten stiff
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 drops real vanilla
- Blend sugar, corn starch & salt.
- Heat milk stirring in cocoa, heat until scalded.
- Slowly stir in sugar mix to milk.
- Using a double boiler cook and stir over boiling water until mixture thickens.
- Add one third of mixture to well beaten egg yolks then stir egg yolks into custard.
- Stir and cook another 2 minutes.
- Remove from fire.
- Add butter & vanilla.
- Fold into custard evenly.
- Pour into baked pie shell.
- Cover with meringue & a sprinkle of cocoa powder.
- Place in oven 325°F to only brown the meringue slightly. Watch closely his does not take long.
- You can also top with whipped cream if you prefer.
Until next time,
Mrs. Kay Lynn Rice