The best way to have your biscuits come out perfect, light & fluffy is to use sourdough starter in the ingredients.
Sourdough Butter Biscuits : Makes 6 – 8 biscuits.
- 1 cup of flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup of real butter — warmed to room temperature
- 1 cup of sourdough starter (matured)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a medium to large bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder & salt.
- Cut the butter into the sifted ingredients. I use two butter knives to evenly “cut” the butter through the mixture.
- Fold in your sourdough starter. Mix well.
- Turn the dough out on a lightly floured surface.
- Knead together until no longer “sticky”
- Gently roll your dough keeping fairly thick.
- Cut your biscuits out with a biscuit cutter. I use a canning jar ring, regular size.
- Place on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake for 12 min or until golden brown
This makes some of the lightest biscuits perfect for any side, meal or with jam & butter.
Adding in herbs, garlic, cinnamon or other spices creates wonderful variations as well.
Until next time,
Mrs. Kay L. Rice