One of my husband’s absolute favorite pie that I make is my Banana Dream Pie. Do you remember the old soda shop Banana Milkshakes or better yet the Banana Vanilla Wafer Pudding dessert from Sunday potlucks of years gone by? Well, that is exactly what this tastes like.
Baking time: 15 min | Prep. Time: 30 min | Chill Time: Over night (min 2 hours)
The Rice Family Banana Dream Pie
- 1 box of mini vanilla wafers
- 2 tsp of sugar
- 3 bananas
- 1 large box of banana instant pudding (Jell-o brand)
- 1 1/2 cups of whole chilled milk
- 1 8 oz. container of cool-whip topping
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) real butter, melted (DO NOT USE MARGARINE!)
- Fresh Fruit powder (or lemon juice) to keep the bananas from browning
- 1 deep dish pie pan.
- Preheat your oven to 325 F.
- Empty 3/4 of the box of mini vanilla wafers into a food processor and pulse until the consistency of gram cracker powder.
- Mix together until crumbly but in “marbles”.
- Press into the pie pan, if a foil pan, fold the edges upward and press the crust evenly to the very edge.
- Bake the pie crust in the oven at 325 F for 13 to 15 minutes until there is a slight golden glow to the crust. Do not over bake.
- Take out of the oven and let cool.
- Cut 2 bananas in thin slices and place the slices in a bag with a sprinkle of Fresh fruit or a touch of lemon juice and shake coating the banana slices. This keeps your bananas from browning fast.
- Arrange your banana slices on the pie crust once the pie crust is cool.
- Set your pie crust to the side.
- In a large bowl add your Banana Instant Pudding and 1 1/2 cups of whole milk. Blend with a hand mixer until thick.
- Add in all of the cool-whip EXCEPT for one big spoon full. Mix into your pudding mix.
- Continue to mix until a thick creamy pie filling.
- Spoon over pie crust and banana slices, smoothing the top.
- Slice the 3rd banana and treat with Fresh Fruit/Lemon juice as you did for the pie base.
- Arrange cool-whip and banana slices over the top of the pie.
- With your remaining Mini Vanilla Wafers, create an edging around the edge.
- Chill overnight or a minimum of 2 hours in your refrigerator, to finish firming up.
Serve and enjoy!
Until Next Time,
Mrs. Kay Rice